Sunday, March 13, 2016

When Comparison Truly Becomes Your Thief of Joy



It is almost midnight and I am scrolling through Facebook
Not looking for anything specific, no purpose whatsoever
Isn't that how it always is 90% of the time?

I read a blog post and I start to think about how much better it is than mine
I continue to read about her ministry and count the followers she has
I start to compare my small ministry and I lose a little piece of joy

Then I switch to Instagram and I see a "selfie" of another "friend" and her husband
I start to compare my single life and I lose a little piece of joy

Then I see I have a notification on Twitter
I scroll through the "140 characters or less" status' about vacations, weddings and new houses
I start to compare my "boring life" and I lose a little piece of joy

In the span of two minutes, I have completely convinced myself my purpose is not big enough, I don't work hard enough, I need to be skinnier, more adventurous, take more risks, buy a nicer car, and I need a husband and 2.5 kids by yesterday

This scenario didn't just happen tonight- it happens daily
Is this just me?

Why do we compare our own lives to the highlight reels of others?

Highlight reels are just that, the highlights of a person's life
In a world full of opinions and judgment, who wants to post about their struggles
Not me

This past week I could feel the comparison trap coming on and my joy being stolen little by little
I decided to fast from social media this past weekend
Not for anything else but to refocus on my own life 

And guess what? It was only two days, but it was one of the best things I have ever done

An amazing day celebrating an amazing couple

Instead of reading other people's status', I read promises of God
Instead of aimlessly scrolling through people's lives, I scrolled through my own
Instead of having the world tell me what I am NOT, I proclaimed what I AM in Christ

Chosen
Designed
Loved
Forgiven
Saved
Created for a purpose

I am not saying social media is a bad thing or you need to fast from it
But, if we don't have solid boat to ride on, then the world will easily drown us in comparison, jealousy and envy

When we lose our security in Christ, doubt can easily creep in
Why aren't you further along in life?
Why aren't you married?
Why aren't you making more?
Did God really say?
That is the enemy trying to make you believe lies of this world

Who says you need a nicer car or bigger house?
Who says that your job does not matter or not good enough?
Who says you need to be "this far along" at the age of 30?
Who says you are not good enough?
Who says?!

You know what my God says about me?

Jessie, you are exactly where you are supposed to be. You have all you need to accomplish what I have planned for you. I will complete what I started in you. I will fulfill those desires. I have bigger dreams for you then you can ever imagine. I designed YOU for a specific purpose that no one else can fill.  Look to me for purpose, not of this world. Stop striving for your life to look like someone else's. I designed you. Trust me I know exactly where you are and what you need. You are enough. 

Monday I will be going back to social media to connect with the rest of the world
But I will hold tight to promises God has for my life, not the world
The world will not take away my joy


"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." 
Romans 15:13


5 comments:

  1. Hi Jessie,
    Visiting today from Coffee for your Heart. As a fellow single gal, I can totally relate to comparing my life to what I'm scrolling through on social media and I applaud you for taking a break! I unfollowed over 100 lovely accounts on Instagram for the very reason that they made me feel less than joyful and less than grateful. Focusing on God's promises is the only way to keep our eyes focused on him. Enjoyed my visit here and nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and reading! Your words can not be more true. Gods promises are the only way to keep our eyes focused on Him. I had to unfollow some people too and it has been a weight lifted- Thanks again for visiting! Have a wonderful week Valerie!

      Delete
  2. I love your "reminder" of holding at arms length, comparisons! It is so true...we are only getting a glimpse (the clean corner of the room, the one day out of seven, we are in "the" cute outfit, etc.) of a perfect moment in time of someone's day! Thankfully, I try to hold onto "no one can steal my joy" motto! And, thankfully your timing of a Facebook post, Instagram post or your blog brings me back into focus with how much God loves us and how important obeying His commands are! Trusting in his promises of the hope we find in Him is such a blessing! You are such a blessing!😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank YOU Sandy for your constant support and encouragement from afar! YOU are a blessing. Have a wonderful week love you!

      Delete
  3. Doing some catching up on my favorite blogs. ;)
    Sweet friend, you are so enough! Don't ever let the enemy tell you that you should be better at this or doing more of that. He will steal every bit of your joy through comparison if he can. I've struggled with this as well. And you're right-taking some time off from social media can really help get my priorities and self-image back where it should be. Love you! :)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!