Friday, August 31, 2012

Fight The Good Fight


I have been thinking about this for awhile now, and during my devotion this morning I was convinced and convicted that God needed me to really reflect on this.

Right now I am almost done with the devotion,"Woman After God's Own Heart: 1 Timothy- Pursuing Godliness."

Here is what it said this morning:

"How long must we fight? Paul answers that we should fight until our Lord Jesus Christ's appearing. We are better able to bear up in the battle when we look with eager anticipation to the second Coming. Does the struggle, the battle, of the Christian life ever cause you to look for and long for the return of your Lord? When was the last time you thought of the Lords reappearance? Or should I be asking, do you ever think about the Lords return?"

Talk about being hit on the side of the head! My honest answer would be, of course I dont think about it. Why would He come back and rob me the experience to get married, have children, have grandchildren at that! There are SO many things I haven't experienced yet! He wouldn't dare come back anytime soon... right?

WRONG. Horribly wrong. What selfish thinking on my part. To even think that I deserve anything more than to do what pleases God is selfish. Yes, I am human and yes I do fall into sinful nature all too often. However, we ALL are made by God and for God. Because of that, and because God loves us more than we can ever understand, our purpose in life is to honor God in ALL that I do.  

This got me thinking about my fight. Am I fighting hard enough for God. Am I fighting hard enough to share the gospel with others and through the platform that I have? Am I fighting hard enough to flee from the sins of this world and fix my eyes on what is above and not the worldly materials?

As Christians, we are called to live above the standards of this world. I know I fall all too often to this world. Satan sure knows how and where to attack each and every one of us. It is easy to get caught up the worldly treasures and to lust over material items, and lose control of our thoughts, minds, and bodies. But, our God is big and mighty, and He understands the worldly temptations. However, this does not give us an excuse to give in. That is why it is called a fight. It will be hard. It will be difficult. In the midst of fighting our own fight for faith lets focus upward. He does, however, promise it will be worth it.

" Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is- His good and perfect will."
Romans 12:2
Where are your sights set? As a woman after Gods own heart we are to seek those things which are above and to set our minds on things above, not on things on the earth.

Perhaps if we were fleeing from and following after and fighting hard enough, we might yearn more passionately for His return.

As often as I stumble and temptation is all around me, I am thankful that I have a Savior who forgives and always finds a way to subtly remind me of who He is and to keep fighting the good fight.

Let's look upward together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!