Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Ash Wednesday



                                                                   The start of Lent 
I can't help but be so excited because what's at the end of it?
 Easter! Which is slowly becoming my favorite season.

When I was little I never fully understood what Ash Wednesday was all about
Actually, I didnt understand a lot of what was going on as a child
Lets be honest, I was more excited about the coloring book then listening to our pastor talk


So, what is Ash Wednesday?

Ash Wednesday is an ancient church tradition dating from at least the eighth century AD. It marks the beginning of the season of Lent, a period of 40 days  (not counting Sundays) leading up to Easter when God calls us to repent and reconcile ourselves to Him...to turn our hearts back to Him. 

In the season of Lent, we follow Jesus "into the desert," just as he spent 40 days alone in the wilderness before beginning his public ministry.

During this season of prayer, repentance and contemplation, we are humbled and reminded that our life and our hope depend entirely on the power of God to raise the dead.

In this season we remember that the Christian life is a life of profound waiting, keeping watch for the kingdom of God that is coming.

By focusing honestly on our own mortality and brokenness, we prepare ourselves to receive the incredible good news of Easter:

That Jesus Christ has been raised from the dead, and the promises of God are true.

I was thinking today, even at 27 years old, that it's never easy for me to realize the sins in my life, confess them to God, and literally turn away from them, but that's exactly what it's about. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear how you are enjoying your journey!